Panama Canal Boat Tours
The Panama Canal, one of the seven wonders of the modern world, is an unparalleled engineering feat. Cutting through the Isthmus, the canal spans 80 km (50 miles) and connects the Caribbean Sea with the Pacific Ocean. In 2014, Panama celebrated the 100 year anniversary of the Panama Canal and shortly after, opened a major expansion which allows transit of ships that can hold up to 14,000 containers. Gatun Lake, a large reservoir that was created in 1907 by damming the Chagres River, is a major part of the Panama Canal. These flooded lowlands provide a home to a wide variety of birds and animals. Waterbirds, kingfishers, Snail Kites, crocodiles, capybaras, monkeys and even an occasional manatee call Gatun Lake and the Panama Canal home. Our Panama Canal Boat Tours are the best way to experience the wildlife of the Panama Canal firsthand.
Why explore the Panama Canal by boat?
- Being on a boat allows us to get much closer to otherwise shy wildlife, such as capybaras and Snail Kites
- It offers great opportunities for photography and observing animal behavior
- Get up close with enormous cargo ships and intricate sailboats in transit through the Canal
- Pass through part of the historic waterway and see some Panama Canal operations in action
- Our Panama Canal boat tours are ideal for families and those with limited mobility
OUR BOAT TOURS
We offer you two great options for exploring the Panama Canal and Gatun Lake:
1. Join our experienced guides and include a boat tour in one of our half or full day birding trips.
2. Enjoy a half-day general wildlife boat tour with a local naturalist guide
If you would like to combine a Panama Canal boat tour with one of our day trips led by an expert birding guide, just add $175 on top of the standard prices of our Panama day trips.
For a general boat tour (3-4 hours) to see wildlife of the Panama Canal and Gatun Lake, or if you have a group, please contact us for pricing.
All prices are listed in US Dollars. Our Panama Canal Boat Tours include a fully personalized itinerary according to your preferences, a specialized local bird or naturalist guide, a private vehicle, transportation within Panama City, a complete list of birds and wildlife seen on the tour, and snacks (usually tropical fruits). Long-distance pick-ups outside of Panama City proper and other service are not included and can be arranged upon request. Tips for the guide and driver are not included.
**Our Panama Canal Boat Tours depart from Gamboa and explore the edges of the Panama Canal and Gatun Lake. Our tours do not transit through any of the locks.**
Inquire and book your Panama birding day trips by filling in the form below or by emailing us at email@example.com. We will respond to your request within 24 hours.