Next tour dates
September 4-13, 2020
3 – 4 stars
Easy to moderate
Max. 8 people
USD $2,975 per person
Panama is well-known as a top destination for birding in the Americas. With over 1,000 species recorded in the small country, the possibilities for finding birds is seemingly endless. With a great variety of habitats from coastal lowlands, river courses, and foothill plains to high elevation cloud forest and volcanos, Panama supports great biological diversity. In addition to birds, Panama is home to over 1,800 species of butterflies. In fact, one of the meanings of the word Panama is “abundance of butterflies.”
Birds and butterflies complement each other perfectly in their preferred times of activity. While birds in the lowlands are most active at dawn and dusk, butterflies show their bright colors during the middle of the day when it is hot and sunny. Both birds and butterflies are active all day long in the foothills and highlands. As a great introduction to the birds and butterflies of Panama, we will enjoy great sightings of many winged things, from some spectacular birds including Rufescent Tiger-Heron, Purple-throated Fruitcrow, Long-tailed Silky-Flycatcher, Black-faced Solitaire, Cinnamon Woodpecker, to amazing butterflies – Zebra-striped Hairstreak, Deep-blue Eyed-Metalmark, Cloud Forest King and Great White Longtail. During our Panama birds and butterflies tour, we will advantageously look for both birds and butterflies, and anything else that may pop up along the way!
Panama Birds and Butterflies Tour
- Length: 10 days
- Maximum number of participants: 8*
- Single Supplement: US$615
- Lodging: Comfortable hotels and inns with private bathrooms, restaurants and beautiful grounds
- Food: Quality, fresh, local ingredients prepared in Panamanian and International styles
- Weather: Warm and humid in the lowlands; cool and humid in the highlands, can be especially cool at night. Rain can be expected.
- Difficulty: Easy to moderate. Most birding will be along open roads (paved and gravel) and forest edge, some with undulating hills.
* With smaller groups, an additional fee will be charged.