Nestled between Costa Rica and Colombia, Panama extends from the western highlands of Chiriqui, to the biodiverse lowlands of Darien, its eastern-most province. The relatively narrow Isthmus is flanked by the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans – and it is possible to visit both in the same day! Of course, when one thinks of Panama, perhaps the first thing that comes to mind is the world-famous Panama Canal. This incredible feat of engineering is on full display and is, rightly so, a source of pride for the country.
However, it is this country’s natural wonders that truly shine. Panama is home to over 1,000 species of birds that inhabit a wide array of environments, from lowland rainforests and cloud forests, to open savannas, lagoons and coastal mangroves. Some of the iconic birds found here include Keel-billed Toucan, Golden-collared Manakin, Bue Cotinga, Resplendent Quetzal, Cinnamon Woodpecker, Rufous-crested Coquette, Crimson-backed Tanager, Ocellated Antbird, and Harpy Eagle.
Why travel to Panama?
- It is one of the most biodiverse countries in Central America
- Experience the splendor of raptor migration during the months of October through December
- It is one of the best places to see Harpy Eagle – Panama’s national bird
- Its small size makes it possible to visit many unique landscapes and see many different bird species in a relatively short period of time
- View the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans at the same time from the top of Volcan Baru
- Mammals abound here – monkeys, sloths, coatimundis and more are readily seen during a tour
- Travel through the Panama Canal or visit the Miraflores Locks to learn more about this incredible feat of engineering firsthand.
- Travel to Darien and stand at the end of the Pan-American highway
- It offers great opportunities for bird and wildlife photography
BIRDING IN PANAMA
We offer several different tours to Panama that cover a majority of the country and its fantastic habitats. Tours range in length from one to two weeks and can accommodate any dates you prefer to travel.
Our tours have a variety of different paces. From our relaxed-paced ornitherapy tour to the adventure of visiting a wild Harpy Eagle nest, Panama has something to offer for any birder or nature enthusiast.
We’re passionate about Panama and think you will be too! We specialize in designing customized tours to your interests and liking. We are happy to work with you to develop your dream Panama birding holiday.
Also, since Panama is also our home base, we offer guided day trips to see the incredible birds and wildlife found here. So if you are unable to join for a multi-day tour, check out our day tour options.
Want to learn more?
Want to learn more about the birds and wildlife of panama, or what to expect when birding in Panama? Watch our video on YouTube or read more on our Whitehawk Birding Blog: